Some factual tyranny real quick: Friday night went out to a high end speak easy downtown with Shannon (70 bill for 4 drinks and an appetizer)—it was fun, she looked beautiful, but this 26-year-old was taking me for a ride, plain and simple. She arrived on a bus from Westminster, I met her there, and that was one of the few smiles of the night—when she saw me at the station. She looked stunning—black satin short shorts, a sequin top, her hair braided and blonde and beautiful. But my game is off, I’m not her type, and I won’t chase, praise, or goad her ego. We went for some light fare and drinks then at Linger, and the space was great and a lot cheaper and we chatted until 1 but there was no chemistry, nothing, and I dropped her off at the bus station and that was that. No kiss, nothing. I woke up early the next morning, and headed to Breckenridge for a 5k trail run that I technically won but I ran off course and finished 7th officially but the race director gal who was hot along with the other blonde who was hot gave me what was officially the winner’s prize: a huge ceramic beer stein from Germany with two drink tickets for the Oktoberfest in Breck. I hung out with my parents in Breckenridge and we wandered the streets during the festival and I ran 14 on the dirt mining road and trails on Sunday, wandered more with the folks then hiked with them then ate dinner. I drank too much Fri-Sun but last night only had two beers, 1.5 of them at Park Tav with some greasy Mexican food, saw Chrome for but a moment at PT, he shared a beer and ate two tacos then had to buy peanut butter for Rogue then split I left too leaving half my beer on the table then ate some more food upon returning home—my appetite has increased lately with the miles—and got to sleep at a good time and slept in this morning till near 7:30. On Sunday night Erin came over round 8:30 and we drank some Breckenridge whiskey, wine, beer, I showed her my Colombian pictures, my folding bike, lots of things she hadn’t seen since the two of us had split, and we had some hot encounters in the kitchen, the couch, then the bed, maybe once at night and then twice in the a.m.—standard for us. There’s real sexual chemistry between us, but that’s it. One thing I notice about this quick rundown in the journal is how I feel—how it’s do damn clear—that I’m leaving out the meaning and all the good ideas surrounding these experiences. But I can’t sit and write about my life all day. Too busy getting out there. Too busy running off all the fucking greasy Mexican food I ate last night, for one. I’ll hit up 4 laps tonight—three with the Tue group and then one on my own.
While I was running on Sunday on the mining trail in Breckenridge at about 8:50 a.m. in the cool mountain breeze, I thought of how common “alien life” was in the Dr. Who television series—not artificial intelligence, but alien life. Who not tackle the problem of the other from this perspective? Alien life, rather than the simple minded and naïve set-up of the problem of the automaton? The automaton set-up just from the outset reveals our carbon ba-ed prejudices—why not just work with the idea that “otherness” is just foreign, but what it does have in common is our perception that the thing is spontaneous. Of course, Dr. Who makes it easy by giving his aliens the ability to either speak English or his characters the ability to translate—and here we assume that the language of the aliens is not so multilayered, rich, mysterious, and different, that we aren’t wiping out most of its meaning in translation—my biggest concern with alien language translation.
The other as enemy, as in situation. How does this compare to our fighting against the weather, that is to say, the elements, or an animal, such as a mountain lion?
10:02 Out for more hunting. A man gets what he wants.
No comments:
Post a Comment