Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Women, economic resources, rules, and oligarchic maneuvering

When fathers (or masculine, disciplinarian mothers) put women on a pedestal, when they encourage them to pursue careers in science, medicine, engineering, law, humanities, a false confidence is given to women. Further reinforced by their ability to endure menial exams, women believe themselves equal. And then when they must invent, when they must be courageous, they have nothing in them. In frustration and desperation, they lash out. They want more rules, standards, regulations. They resent male creativity, risk taking, courage: “How can it be when both father and mother told me I can do anything I want, when I achieved the highest scores on exams—something must not be fair. Another rule must be made to make things fair. Someone must suffer. Men must suffer.” Did the oligarchs realize this would happen, is this part of their plan too?

Mallory, courage, and Colombia

Apparently Mallory, the first guy to attempt Everest, had a 1/3 chance of dying in the trenches of France in the Great War. It was trench warfare. It’s bad enough they shot high caliber rifles which numbed the ears. They shot mortars all day without ear protection. Mortars landed in their trenches and blew away their friends. Poison, blistering gas was thrown by both sides. By the time the war was over, the people left alive either were shell shocked or just didn’t give a fuck anymore. That’s what made him a great explorer. He didn’t give a fuck anymore. I bet Moraline had a similar min going into the desert in Patagonia. “Who fucking cares about that bitch, death.”

Moraline was certain he would die in either Colombia or Argentina. He was so certain that he told me that I would probably die in Colombia too. I always write a will before I leave, but he told me specifically to write one before I went to Colombia. It gave the mountains a new light.

No comments:

Post a Comment