Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Rain in hills and mountains that look like Colombia but are in fact in Brasil




Yesterday was warm and sunny and it was a great respite from Sunday’s rain. I didn’t check the weather forecast when I arrived, however. This is the first thing to do—ask someone the forecast. Had I done that, I wouldn’t have rested but would have taken advantaged of the dry day and gotten out of the rainy part of the region. Instead, I rested on a sunny day, and then commenced cycling the next day in a downpour and rode the who day in the rain. The good news is that I use Phil’s tenacious oil on all the area of the hub I can cover, on the pedals, on the v-brake areas where water can enter, on the cables, and all over the chain. When the Phil’s oil runs out, I’ll refill the bottle with motor oil. I rode 85k today in heavy rain and the chain is fine, still plent of Phil’s tenacious. I applied the oil this morning and *did not wipe the chain.*. I let the oil sit for an hour and penetrate all the areas. Then, when I commences in the pouring rain, the oil protected the bike.
Rolling hills of wheat and corn and soybeans. Then mountains. An armored truck gave me an excellent “oi” with its alarm-beep as it passed. I tried to make it to Larangeiras do Sol, but my 5 o’clock principal held, and I found a small hotel in this small town, Cantagalo. It is noth a cloth (and in for sewing) store and a hotel for local workers and passers-by. The old woman who owns the store and runs the hotel has an 11 year old grandson who she ordered to help me with my bike and bags. He made me a coffee with milk and gave me a piece of cake and we talked for 30 minutes about my bike and my travels. Then I had to go and he had to do his homework. I walked in to town and bought groveries and then went to a pizzeria for a beer, little sugar cane spirits, and a big sandwich.
Riding in the rain was tough but now that I have faith in the Phil’s oil, I don’t think my bike gets ruined. I’ll just dump motor oil in my hubs if they get bad. Also, the mountains changed big in their beauty. They reminded me of Colombia today. The truck drivers saw my smile despite the rain. 



































No comments:

Post a Comment