The riding on 101 was some of the worst riding ever, on a tour, training, ever. It was heavily trafficed by late model cars and huge Volvo and Mercedes trucks. The road cut off most of the beautiful vistas, and I would learn, by following Rodrigo into smaller towns, that the smaller towns hid, hid just perfectly from view, the dirt roads, the small farm houses, the stories, the people, the food and the places to crash, man, all of this was murdered by BR 101, a terrible road. Don't ride this road unless you have to see the beaches along the coast, and for those beaches, use the dirt roads that hug the shores. Stay off 101.
This was a lot of my time spent in Brasil. Rodrigo knew the coastal areas well because he grew up along the coast and worked along the coast and thought I wanted to cycle up to Natal along the coast so of course he gave me advice about heading up the coast. I don't know if he knew much else about Brasil, if he knew the interior or the jungle. But he knew the coast, and the coast was were all the development and destruction was, the coast was where all the tourism and money was, the coast was where he worked to earn money off the tourists, and the coast, the coast was the source of most of what made Rodrigo unhappy, and yet he lived there and worked there and bitched about liberty and anti-capitalism all day. Jesus, between 101 and the coast I would have killed myself. Fuck the coast and fuck the beaches. They are typical sirens: if the beaches were uninhabited with sandy areas to camp, if the coasts were inhabited only by dirt roads and small villages, no huge sea ports unloading sea cargo, no huge factories, no rich cities with their huge new car lots, then yes, fuck yeah I'd head to the coast and swim in the sea and eat local fish. But the coast is a big fucking Cherry Creek mall shit all over the shores of Brasil with Jersey Shore trash scattered about the villagers who are suffocating in its midst. It's fucking terrible, and made me so miserable sad and despondent and depressed.
Yet it changed when 101 ended and I headed inland to Coritiba. The cheering and the honking began. The traffic subsided and the mountains began and the risk, the real risk of climbing and riding in remote areas began. I knew at that time I was to then ditch the whole itinerary Rodrigo laid out. I know enough now to do this on my own. I can ask for advice and take it or leave it, but I really don't need much help, as I've been doing this for too long now, 20 years now. By now I don't need no advice from nobody.
Even the heavy traffic in the night of Coritiba was fine. It had a different feel to it--it was still free. Being sick in Coritiba was bad, but not as bad as 101. I got out of Curitiba and into hot farm land, open space, little traffic, people honking and cheering. I began to worry again about finding a place, about having the energy to reach any place. Today, with 34 degrees and sun and climbing and hot fucking heat burning my face and head, christ I was happy, jesus so happy.
Just when I thought I had Irati in sight, nothing. The Posta de Gasolina said no more gas til 22km. Jesus, I should be here already. What's this 22k? I've been riding for over 5 hours, and I had just 70k today? Was the sun and climbing that bad?
It didn't matter. I was gone, baked, done. I went into the gas station--the only place for kilometers and kilometers and according to the sign the last place for the next 22 kilometers--and got a cold can of iced tea and a fried dough and meat pastry ball and sat down and ate and drank and dealt with the fact the riding had been brutal and the heat even more so.
I finished and left the gas station, totally bonked, but I knew that at 3 p.m. with 22k to go, I could power through. As I got up, I asked the girl how far till Irati. Six kilometers, she said. Ah, the sign meant 22km until the next big Posto de Gasolina, not the next city. Right across the street as I peel out I spotted a grocery, where the meal I just had for $R5.00 could have been had for $R2.00. It didn't matter--I had done the right thing and gotten the food and liquid I needed, and so what if it was only 6k to town.
I scouted all the hotels and picked the best one. I rode up a road so steep I had to grind out of the saddle in my lowest gear. The hotel was very nice and was $R40 with a bathroom and even though the water got shut off right when I arrived the place was a great deal and next to a great place for grub--rice, beans, chicken, lettuce, tomato, grainpowder, steamed vegetables, and a beer. As I sat at the restaurant the map came alive. I saw how the north had very few roads and the few roads it had were dirt and impassable during the rainy season, which is now. I saw how where I was now was covered in water falls and the men at the restaurant led me to the next village on the map where I will ride tomorrow. The interior, away from the coast, is what I wanted. Then, as I get much riding under my belt, I will go to a larger city and buy a water filter, a backpack, maybe some hiking shoes, clothes for the jungle, bug spray. I will explore the jungle by foot and boat. But first the local waterfalls and the small towns and the small roads.
Make sure your brakes work, the sign says.
He gave me a ground floor room, knew, without flinching, the best way to lead my bike from the back to this very room, and offered, without flinching, to let me keep my bike in my room. This is the best treatment I have had so far with my bike.
No comments:
Post a Comment